In the event of a mandatory evacuation, residents who have no means of transportation in order to evacuate, Plaquemines Parish will provide shelter out of harm’s way during the mandatory evacuation.
To ensure you receive all emergency messages, please register a cell phone, landline and email to the Plaquemines Parish Emergency Notification System.
In the event of an emergency that requires the Parish to open local evacuation shelters, specific information on what to do will be given at that time. Having a phone registered to the Emergency Notification System will assist you with instructions. Also, monitor radio and television news, the Parish website, Facebook and Twitter as Parish officials will be updating residents on all emergency plans as the need arises.
If you do need in-parish sheltering, you will need to bring the following items with you to your evacuation shelter:
- Bedding items such as sheets, pillows and blankets
- Bring only what you can carry
- Games, books or toys that can occupy or calm kids
- Have enough clothing, medicine, etc for several days
- Personal hygiene items
- Pets are allowed, but must be caged. Make sure you bring enough pet food and other supplies for a few days as you will be responsible for caring for your pet.
- Those with special dietary needs must bring those foods
Special Needs Assistance
Neither the Plaquemines Parish Government nor the state evacuation shelters are equipped to handle special needs patients, especially those who are bedridden.
Now is the time to prepare if you or a loved one has been diagnosed with conditions needing special medical attention such as insulin therapy, oxygen therapy, dialysis, cardiac drugs/treatment etc, there are specific actions you need to take now:
- If you or a loved one resides in a nursing home, note that state law requires all such facilities to have their own evacuation plans. For more information, contact the nursing home and ask about the plan and what arrangements you and your loved ones should make to accommodate the plan.
- Make plans and arrangements with your private physician, your clinic and your family for treatment during an evacuation. If you have already made these plans, review them with the appropriate people prior to the start of hurricane season to ensure nothing has changed in your evacuation and medical care plan.
- Regular state shelters are not equipped to handle evacuees requiring special medical attention. Any Plaquemines Parish resident who is now totally bed bound and may require assistance during an evacuation must contact us now. Persons requesting assistance must currently be a permanent resident of the Parish and currently be living within the boundaries of the Parish.
You must pre-register now by calling the Plaquemines Parish Health Department at 504-934-6690. Don’t wait until it is time to evacuate.
Responses and/or questions regarding this information are to be directed to the Plaquemines Parish Government Health Department or through the Parish switchboard at 504-934-6000.